Characters - MtG

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Planeswalker: Sindri

Post  Tharivol Liadon on Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:40 pm

Sindri, Demon-Slayer

Lucky last one. Until I do NPCs anyway...

Sindri is also invisible...

All right, I don't actually have minifigures for Ri and Sindri yet!

Sindri is black/red/blue. Black because he's a tiefling, and bordering on evil! Red, for his extremely chaotic personality (often to the detriment of his allies, which is also a black trait) and his fiery blasts. Blue because he is a warlock who uses arcane magic.

First: a black ability, gives "weakness" to a creature, potentially killing it. I'm calling this his Blast weapon. It could also be his Intimidation - making his enemies grow weaker with fear.

Second: Destroy a creature and gain its toughness as your life! Sounds like Sindri absorbing the souls of the demons he slays...

Third: his final ability means he can't be affected by a colour of his choice. This represents his immunity/resistance to fire/ice/lightning.
Tharivol Liadon

Back to top Go down

Planeswalker: Ri

Post  Tharivol Liadon on Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:28 pm

Ri, Shifting Arrow

Ri happens to be invisible on her card.

Ri, as a changeling beguiler, is deceptive by nature. This can tie into blue and black. I picked blue because of her use of illusions and disguises, and black because of her cunning and the fact that she's a beguiler.

First: this ability emphasises power over toughness in her creatures (a black thing), and also provides deathtouch, which would be equivalent to poison, one of the many tools a beguiler has at hand. Also, I hadn't been able to use deathtouch yet!

Second: discarding is a black ability, drawing is blue. She's gaining knowledge while removing options for her opponents.

Third: graveyard interaction. What she's doing here is taking all her opponent's dead creatures and spells, and using them as her own, but disguised. Manifesting a card means you play it face down, so your enemies don't know what it is. This ability reflects her illusions and disguises in the best way I could think of.

Last edited by Tharivol Liadon on Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tharivol Liadon

Back to top Go down

Planeswalker: Tosscobble

Post  Tharivol Liadon on Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:27 pm

Tosscobble, Crimson Arrow

Tosscobble, being chaotic and impulsive, with lots of weapons, is easily red. Being a sneaky rogue, he's black. Even more so now that he's an assassin too.

His first ability is obvious: a red weasel, with haste.

The second ability destroys a permanent. Similar to Erak's, but slightly more versatile. Tosscobble can disarm traps and do things with items, so this was my reasoning.

His final ability is very aggressive: his creatures deal twice their damage (like Tosscobble can dual-wield) and they also can't be blocked, similar to how Tosscobble can sneak around his enemies' defences to kill them!

Last edited by Tharivol Liadon on Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tharivol Liadon

Back to top Go down

Planeswalker: Erak

Post  Tharivol Liadon on Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:14 pm

Erak, Grudgebearer

Erak is white, since he's a soldier, a general. He commands armies, gives tactical orders, leads vast groups of people to safety. He also has a bit of green, since he is the strongest in our party, and has very big weapons!

His first ability reflects his nature as a military general. He can muster an army of soldiers.

His second ability is simply "Destroy target creature." Because that's what he's best at!

His third ability grants his creatures first strike and vigilance, white abilities, and trample, a green ability which sort of works like Cleave.
Tharivol Liadon

Back to top Go down

Planeswalker: Dimble

Post  Tharivol Liadon on Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:05 pm

Dimble, Tartan Arrow

Yes, I know he doesn't have a bagpipe anymore. These are old photos!

Dimble, being a bard, is a jack-of-all-trades. Thus, I was tempted to give him all colours except for black, but I didn't think green fit. So, he's white for his healing/buffing spells, and his nobility; blue for his arcane spells, magical items, and for the fact that bards are generally skilled and charismatic; and red for his chaotic nature (since bards cannot be lawful), and his gun, which is a very red item.

First: this one was easy, his musical buffs! A white ability.

Second: Gather Information by looking at the cards in your library. A blue ability.

Third: gaining control of creatures for a turn is a red ability. This one is a play on his high charisma and persuasion. Perhaps he's convinced/tricked the opponent out of their creatures? It also rewards adding counters with his first ability.
Tharivol Liadon

Back to top Go down

Planeswalker: Skagaros

Post  Tharivol Liadon on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:58 pm

Skagaros, the Orc Monk

Skagaros, as part of the Knights of the Merciful Sword, is white. I considered adding red, since his attacks are very physical, and orcs are usually red in MtG, but I decided his white side won over his red side, since he's a monk, who generally want peace and harmony.

His first ability is his grapple ability! To tap a creature means it can't attack/do stuff until it untaps next turn. Skagaros' grapples render his opponents incapacitated for a while.

Second ability: 3 damage divided, this represents his Flurry of Blows.

Third: this is Skagaros' Purity/Wholeness of Body feat. He gets (well, his creatures get) hexproof (meaning he can't be targeted by spells), lifelink (a white ability) and double strike, like his Flurry of Blows again.
Tharivol Liadon

Back to top Go down

Planeswalker: Gazadriel

Post  Tharivol Liadon on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:45 pm

Gazadriel, Golden Arrow

Our first mono-coloured character! Probably the easiest character to choose a colour for too; Gazadriel is definitely white: a Lawful Good paladin from the Celestial Realms, with a horse called Justice and a flaming sword devoted to his god.

First ability: This is a typical white ability, boosting your small creatures, and giving them the ability to gain you life.

Second: Justice!

Third: This is meant to represent some sort of Smite Evil ability. It's a typical white thing too, so fits very well.
Tharivol Liadon

Back to top Go down

Planeswalker: Knifey

Post  Tharivol Liadon on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:23 pm

Knifey, Soul Arrow

I had trouble deciding colours for Knifey. He is definitely red, being a fun-loving, passionate individual. Probably green too, since he's one of the stronger Arrows, and also loves nature (and is friends with Jøhn too). I thought about blue, since he has his psychic abilities, but I didn't think it was enough. I settled on white: although not one to be restrained by rigid rules, Knifey (in my mind at least), has a sense of peace and community, and definitely morality. Also, white fit with the abilities that I ended up deciding on for him anyway, as you'll see...

First: Knifey's strength and Xeph Burst are reflected here in giving creatures trample (a green ability which changes the way damage is dealt) and Haste (a red ability which allows your creatures to attack first turn).

Second: this is what I came up with to represent Knifey's psychic attacks. I've tried to keep all our abilities distinct, so I didn't want to make it just another "deal x damage" or something.  This represents an attack on the mind: forcing an opponent to discard a card. Usually making a player discard or reveal is blue or black, but exiling is a white thing.

Third: this one is fun. Some of you may recognise this ability from a real card (I did borrow quite a few ideas, from planeswalkers and also just normal cards). This represents Knifey's Autohypnosis: his ability to ignore certain effects and damage. Also, this is definitely a white ability, and this was what made me decide on white for Knifey.

Last edited by Tharivol Liadon on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tharivol Liadon

Back to top Go down

Planeswalker: Jøhn

Post  Tharivol Liadon on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:09 pm

Jøhn Hunter

Green/white. Green because of his affinity for nature and the wilderness, white for his divine powers and healing abilities.

His first ability is probably Jøhn's belt of healing.

His second ability searches for land, which is used to provide mana, which is the magical energy used to cast spells. He has this ability because of his tracking/scouting/survival skills.

His final ability refers to his animal companions, especially Balthazar the Bat. It also rewards the player for all their lifegaining.

Last edited by Tharivol Liadon on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:47 pm; edited 4 times in total
Tharivol Liadon

Back to top Go down

Planeswalker: Tharivol

Post  Tharivol Liadon on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Tharivol, Silver Arrow.

Just a note: I've tried to take the most iconic aspects of each character and distill them into their abilities. Hopefully you'll be able to see that.

He's blue/red because he's a wizard who uses arcane magic and artifacts (blue), and does a lot of direct damage spells (red). He costs 7 mana because I like 7. Most of the numbers I have picked for these planeswalkers (for cost and abilities) are going to be pretty arbitrary. Some based on numbers we like, some on the value of the card, some based on real MtG cards, some just a number I picked.

His first ability represents Magic Missile. A simple damage spell.

His second ability is a typical blue ability. It can be equated to a Knowledge: Arcane check. He's gaining knowledge by drawing cards.

His third ability obviously represents his multi-functional metal Golem.

Last edited by Tharivol Liadon on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tharivol Liadon

Back to top Go down

Explanation

Post  Tharivol Liadon on Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:54 pm

Firstly, a basic explanation for the MtG uninitiated.

There are five colours of magic/mana, with different traits and abilities. I've assigned all our character certain colours and abilities on each of their cards.

White - typically associated with: light, sun, order, law, divinity, religion, morality, peace, structure, rules, community, defence.
White would probably be Lawful Good.

Blue - knowledge, cunning, arcana, spells, water, ice, air, logic, technology, artifacts/magical items, the mind, psychic powers, illusions, memory, etc.
Blue would probably be Lawful Neutral.

Black - death, individuality, selfishness, destruction, power, ruthlessness, amorality.
Black would probably be Neutral Evil.

Red - chaos, passion, freedom, emotions, action, impulse, speed, fire, earth, lightning, conflict, aggression.
Red would probably be Chaotic Neutral.

Green - growth, strength, nature, instinct, plants, animals, regeneration, community.
Green would probably be True Neutral.

The cards I have made are a type of card called "Planeswalkers": very powerful cards which are a bit more complex than a normal card. Basically, you can +/- them to gain effects.

Hopefully you can see why I picked certain colours for certain characters.

I'll explain the individual cards and why I gave them certain abilities as I post them.

Last edited by Tharivol Liadon on Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tharivol Liadon

Back to top Go down

Characters - MtG

Post  Tharivol Liadon on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:48 am

This is where I'll be posting some D&D-themed MtG cards I have made.
Tharivol Liadon

Back to top Go down

Re: Characters - MtG

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top