Hextravaganza's DnD Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions on how to write your New Character

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Questions on how to write your New Character Empty Re: Questions on how to write your New Character

Post  Genisisect Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:36 pm

I recon that shouldn't be a problem James, and you can use the spell compendium supplement.
Genisisect
Genisisect
Admin

https://hexdnd.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Questions on how to write your New Character Empty Re: Questions on how to write your New Character

Post  JohnTheRanger Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:40 pm

I've revised the Ranger/Scout (Swift Hunter) Build for Ivelliohn. I've decided that spell progression is more important than the Scout's special abilities, and would add greatly to the versatility (and thus value) of the character, particularly if some material from the Spell Compendium is available as that supplement greatly improves the quality of the Ranger Spell list. Alas, there's no way to avoid losing three levels worth of spell progression, causing this build to have significantly fewer spell slots than a pure Ranger. However, this should be able to be countered through the use of scrolls or wands to store spells or the use of Wisdom boosting items to grant additional bonus spells per day. (Assuming there are any left over once the Cleric has taken his pick.)

The below build is Ranger 17/Scout 3.

I don't know why but the formatting of tables on this forum means that I couldn't post all of this at once, so I've had to spread it over three posts.
JohnTheRanger
JohnTheRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnTheRanger Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:34 pm

Level

BAB

Ranger

Scout (From Complete Adventurer)

Feats

1st Favoured Enemy, Track, Wild Empathy

Skirmish (1d6)

Weapon Finesse

Combat Style (Rapid Shot)

Endurance

Skirmish (1d6 + 1AC),

Point Blank Shot

Animal Companion + Spells

2nd Favoured Enemy

Skirmish (2d6 + 1AC)

+6/+1

Improved  Combat Style (Manyshot)

Precise Shot (Mounted Combat)

+7/+2

Woodland Stride

Skirmish (2d6 +2AC)

+8/+3

Swift Tracker + Direbat Companion + 2nd Level Spells

+9/+4

Evasion

Skirmish(3d6 +2AC)

Greater Manyshot (Mounted Archery)

+9/+4

Trap-finding,  Skirmish (1d6)

+10/+5

Battle Fortitude +1, Uncanny Dodge, Skirmish (3d6 + 3AC)

+11/+6/+1

(3rd Favoured enemy)

Fast Movement + 10, Trackless Step, Skirmish (1d6 + 1AC)

Swift Hunter (Complete Scoundrel)
JohnTheRanger
JohnTheRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnTheRanger Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:49 pm

+12/+7/+2

3rd Favoured Enemy

Skirmish (4d6/3AC)

+13/+8/+3

Combat Style Mastery (Improved Precise Shot), + 3rd Level Spells

+14/+9/+4

4th Favoured Enemy

(4d6/4AC)

Feat: (Improved Rapid Shot from CW)/Greater Manyshot

+15/+10/+5

Camouflage

+16/+11/+6/+1

+ 4th Level Spells

(5d6/4AC)

+17/+12/+7/+2

Feat: (Zen Archery/Ranged Disarm)/Improved Weapon Familiarity (CW)

18/13/8/3

(5d6/5AC)

19/14/9/4

5th Favoured Enemy, Hide in Plain Sight

Bonus Feat:

***Makes it so Ranger/Scout levels stack for Favoured Enemy and Skirmish Damage. The unadjusted values prior to Swift Hunter are shown after the adjusted ones in italics.

Hide in Plain Sight

Bonus Feat:

Free Movement

Battle Fortitude +3, Blindsight (30 feet), Bonus Feat:

Last edited by JohnTheRanger on Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
JohnTheRanger
JohnTheRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  Genisisect Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:41 pm

I had a read through, and taking that class would very much require some in game events, so if you really want to Jappas we are going to need to have a chat about it.

On another note, I want to read through the entire supplement and make a decision on whether or not I feel comfortable implementing that into my setting, so if you do want to take this build, i will still need a bit of time to decide if I want to let this text be used
Genisisect
Genisisect
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnTheRanger Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:33 am

I recall Japas expressing some concerns about his Human Cleric being somewhat 'generic'. I've been doing some research regarding a shape-shifting character I'm working on, and recently I came across this prestige class in the 'Dragon Magic' supplement which seemed to really spice up the typical Cleric: the Swiftwing. In exchange for slightly slower (2 less spell levels) spell progression, a Cleric would gain a number of dragon-flavoured abilities including a bonus domain (Dragon Domain, which adds Intimidate and Bluff to the Cleric's class list), draconic vision, breath weapons, winged flight, energy resistance/immunity (*hem* swimming in lava *hem*), damage reduction, and boosted ability scores.

Effectively, the Cleric adopts this class with the mindset of becoming 'The Dragon' of their respective deity - think Darth Vader to Darth Sidious, or the Witch King to Sauron - by employing some measure of draconic might.

The addition of 'Intimidate' to the Cleric's list of class skills also makes it feasible for him to take the 'Frightful Presence' feat (15 Charisma, 9 ranks in Intimidate) described on page 105 of the 'Draconomicon'. Flavour-wise, this feat instils terrifying awe in those who oppose the cleric. This synergises well with the typical cleric's force of personality derived from the high charisma score needed to 'turn undead' effectively.

Information about the Swiftwing Prestige Class: http://www.scribd.com/doc/49211562/Dragon-Magic-3-5-OEF (Page 50).
JohnTheRanger
JohnTheRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  Genisisect Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:47 pm

every 4 levels (4, 8, 12, 16....) you can add one point to any stat, (ie 18 - 19). So you can get your DEX to 19 by level 16.
Genisisect
Genisisect
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnTheRanger Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:14 am

Seeking Enhancement combined with Goggles of Foefinding (Magic Items Compendium, 108) looks like it might come close to emulating the effect of Improved Precise Shot in terms of negating the concealment miss chance and cover AC bonus, respectively. Costs a bit, but money is generally easier to come by than extra stat points.

Also, looking through the MIC again - There's so much cool stuff!  (*cough* Tharry + Gloves of Lightning = Darth Sidious *cough*). Magic Items <3.

Last edited by JohnTheRanger on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
JohnTheRanger
JohnTheRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnTheRanger Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:39 pm

Ah, good point about the stats issue. Thanks for mentioning it. Ivelliohn currently has 16 Dexterity: Greater Manyshot Requires 17, and Improved Precise Shot requires 19. Would he be eligible for an extra stat point by the time he reaches level 9? That would keep Greater Manyshot on track, but I guess Improved Precise Shot is looking somewhat less readily obtainable at the designated level.

Would the Seeking enhancement be a reasonable substitute for Improved Precise Shot? The former says that it negates miss chance, but the latter mentions negating the AC bonus for less than total cover and the miss chance for less than total concealment as well as allowing complete accuracy at hitting the chosen target in a grapple.

I had a look at the Dire Bat creature entry on the DandD wiki (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Dire_Bat) , and it looks like it has sufficient land movement speed to meet the requirements for Skirmish damage - which makes sense, as the bat isn't solely airborne. So he could ride it around on the ground if necessary. Alternatively, those cramped underground occasions would provide some variety to Ivelliohn's combat tactics if he couldn't ride the bat - he'd have to choose between the Skirmish damage or the multiple attacks.

As for development: I would continue taking Ranger levels up to level 8, and then take Scout levels after that. This has the additional advantage of giving me time to potentially grow fonder of the Ranger and decide not to go ahead with the build after all.
JohnTheRanger
JohnTheRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  Genisisect Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:59 am

Also note, wish is ludicrously expensive in exp cost and generaly discouraged by DM's.
Genisisect
Genisisect
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Genisisect Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:57 am

Interesting build. Just a couple of notes though; magical equipment may enhance your states but there bonus does not apply to core stat modifiers (so for example if your wearing a Headband of intellect +2 when you  level up you don't get an extra skill point, or if you only fulfill a feats requirement while you are wearing bracers of dexterity you can't get it, so on.....), and I would like to express a word of caution that the party does spend a fair amount of time underground where you cannot fly your bat. Other than those points (the later I assumed you have already considered), I recon this is a great build, very well thought out.

Just one last question, will you be focusing purely on developing your ranger levels until you reach your cap, or will you start to stagger your leveling?
Genisisect
Genisisect
Admin

Back to top Go down

Questions on how to write your New Character Empty Ranger 8 / Scout 12 Build for Ivelliohn

Post  JohnTheRanger Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:24 pm

I've done some more research to try and find a build that would allow my character to remain an archer, but still be effective in ranged combat at higher levels alongside the mages. Being a competent tracker seems to be an important element of the Ranger class (as well as one of my character's key 'roles' in the party), so I've cut the ranger levels after earning the 'Swift Tracker' ability - this reduces the penalties for tracking at normal or faster speeds. Level 8 also unlocks the Direbat companion, which can be used as a flying mount for medium characters.

The remaining 12 levels are given to the Scout Class, which has the Skirmish ability. This allows the Scout to add extra damage dice to his attacks (like a Sneak Attack), as well as gaining a bonus to AC, after moving at least 10 feet in the round. As you can only make multiple attacks by using the 'full attack' full-round action, which disallows moving 10 feet, the Direbat mount becomes very useful - I can get it to take the move action on my behalf.

The Scout progression given here also unlocks pretty much all of the abilities the Ranger progression would have given, with the exception of 'Hide in Plain Sight' - which becomes available to the Ranger at a level where the Wizard is able to alter reality with a single Wish, and invisibility spells are piece-meal, so it seemed quite underpowered anyway. Useful, handy even, but far too late in level progression to be really valuable. The Scout also gives plenty of other neat abilities, as shown below. Additionally, the Scout progression shown here gives a total of 24 extra skill points - precious, precious skill points.

The Swift Hunter Feat from Complete Scoundrel allows Ranger and Scout levels to stack for determining Favoured enemies and skirmish damage. E.g. a Level 3 Ranger / Level 2 Scout would have the Skirmish damage and Favoured enemy progression equivalent to level 5 in either of those classes.

Drawbacks include:

- Not getting any more Ranger spells

- Slightly lower Fortitude Save

- Less Advanced Animal Companion

- Somewhat lower Base Attack Bonus (BAB)

- Having to spend 2 feats to unlock 'Improved Precise Shot', which would have come free with 'Combat Style Mastery', and one level later than the CSM versions would have given it to me.

- Needing to boost my dexterity a lot to meet the prerequisites for some of the feats, possibly requiring magic items for this.

Level

BAB

Ranger

Scout (From Complete Adventurer)

Feats

1st Favoured Enemy, Track, Wild Empathy

Skirmish (1d6)

Weapon Finesse

Combat Style (Rapid Shot)

Endurance

Skirmish (1d6 + 1AC),

Point Blank Shot

Animal Companion + Spells

2nd Favoured Enemy

Skirmish (2d6 + 1AC)

6/1

Improved  Combat Style (Manyshot)

Precise Shot

7/2

Woodland Stride

Skirmish (2d6 +2AC)

8/3

Swift Tracker + Direbat Companion + 2nd Level Spells

8/3

Trap-finding,  Skirmish(3d6 +2AC)/  (1d6)

Greater Manyshot

9/4

3rd Favoured Enemy

Battle Fortitude +1, Uncanny Dodge

10/5

Fast Movement + 10, Trackless Step Skirmish (3d6 + 3AC) / (1d6 + 1AC)

11/6/1

Bonus Feat: Swift Hunter ***(From Complete Scoundrel)

Improved Precise Shot

11/6/1

Evasion, Skirmish (4d6/3AC)

12/7/2

Flawless Stride

13/8/3

4th Favoured Enemy

Skirmish (4d6/4AC)

Feat:

14/9/4

Camouflage, Bonus Feat:

14/9/4

Skirmish (5d6/4AC)

15/10/5

Blindsense (30 feet)

Feat:

16/11/6/1

Battle Fortitude +2, Fast Movement +20,  Skirmish (5d6/5AC)

17/12/7/2

5th Favoured Enemy

Bonus Feat:

***Makes it so Ranger/Scout levels stack for Favoured Enemy and Skirmish Damage. The unadjusted values prior to Swift Hunter are shown after the adjusted ones in italics.
JohnTheRanger
JohnTheRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  Genisisect Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:34 am

As for the unearthed Arcana point, as you already have selected your combat style, I'm going to have to say you can't use that supplement for this character, sorry.
Genisisect
Genisisect
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Genisisect Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:32 am

In terms of feat gaining, in addition to any and all feats at first level, and feats gained as class bonuses, you get a new feat every three levels (ie 2, 6, 9, 12....)

As for the cross classing I agree with tosscobble, definitely try not to stray into the domains of other characters, especially as there is still a lot of room for you to move in, as I see it, you currently fill three rolls; naturalist, survivor/traveler, and Archer. If you want to cross class, try cross-classing with a focus on these fields. As you are currently the most diverse character in terms of roles, I highly discourage trying to diversify more...

When I played Rangers, I would often cc into druid, Horizon Walker, or Assassin, depending on what the parties needs were, (healer, guide, thief respectively). You are currently fulfilling the guide roll, so I might suggest HW, that said I was only using the core rule books, so you have more options.

I would not recommend specializing in archery though, as the mages (tharry, Irella and Ri) get to higher levels your usefulness as an archer decreases (even if you focus all your dev on it) normally this draw back doesn't shine through to much but we have three mages, and pretty soon there range powers will be at longer ranges and more effective then your archery.

Also not eventually you will get magical items that remove the threat of running out of arrows ( I think the Quiver of Elhona essentially grants infinite arrow storage...) so I highly discourage cc just to prevent you running out of arrows.

That mounted archery thing might be cool though, it would make you a pretty good scout...

Hope that helped

Genisisect, the DM
Genisisect
Genisisect
Admin

Back to top Go down

Questions on how to write your New Character Empty on Re: Character direction and feats

Post  Milo 'Nesquik' Tosscobble Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:44 am

After having a quick read of that, John (it's slightly weird calling you that, but if we're using DnD names i'd better get used to it Very Happy), i'd try and maximise your archery skills as much as possible. While being able to ride a giant bat is pretty friggin awesome, it's possibly not as useful as some of the other skills you mentioned.

Personally if I had to cross-class/prestige, I would go for the Horizon Walker or the Druid, seeing as we already have a perfectly adept Soul Knife. I would also be more inclined to go for the Horizon Walker as that seems to have some pretty cool and useful skills/feats, but maybe that's just a personal preference.

Hope that opinion makes sense and helps slightly, but i really don't care at all which you go for John (almost called you by your IRL name), as long as you enjoy playing the character that way!
Milo 'Nesquik' Tosscobble

Back to top Go down

Questions on how to write your New Character Empty Character Direction and Feats

Post  JohnTheRanger Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:34 am

Genisisect (as I can't remember if we're using our IRL names at all on this forum..), how often do our characters gain feats? Is it every 2 or so levels? I know that Fighters gain bonus feats and my Ranger has been given some free ones at various levels, but I'm not sure if we're also gaining them regularly by levelling up multiple times.

I've looked into some prestige classes / multi-class options / variants for my current Ranger. Horizon Walker looks quite interesting and it has one outstanding ability - virtually at will short-range teleportation: awesome! Along with several other 'neat' abilities e.g. Dark Vision, Tremorsense, immunity to fatigue, in addition to bonuses to a variety of skills.

I was also considering the benefits of multi-classing to SoulKnife (2 levels) and then multi-classing again to Soulbow (Complete Psionic) (1 level)  - my Ranger archery feats would still benefit the 'mind arrows', and I wouldn't be beholden to ammunition all the time. I'd also gain access to a number of bonus feats related to archery through the Soulbow class progression, if I chose to take more levels in it, as well as the ability to 'tune' my weapon enhancements at will like a Soulknife can with his mindblade. I'd also have access to Psionic feats and items, which could be handy. I'd still be able to use a regular bow - with any relevant enhancements - and arrows if I wanted to, and I'd probably use them most of the time anyway. The 'mind arrows' are in case I run out of ammo, or just feel like shooting lasers from with my mind for the fun of it.

Or, how about a mounted archer? At level 8, my Ranger would have access to a Dire Bat (Flying) as an animal companion - they're large creatures and thus rideable by a medium character. I'd need to start taking ranks in the Ride skill in order to handle it, though, and that would spread my skill points even thinner. I'd have to take the Mounted Combat and Mounted Archery feats, otherwise I'd be badly penalised for shooting while mounted.

Additionally, there is a variant form of the Ranger found in the 'Unearthed Arcana' that gives him the ability to wildshape into small or medium animal forms at the expense of his combat-style bonus feats. One of the main reasons I want to be a Druid is wildshape - it's just so cool and useful to be able to change into an animal! But the team needs a decent ranged combatant and I'd have to devote a lot of levels to Druid in order to make the most of it. I'd have to ret-con John's existing feats (Weapon Finesse/Point Blank Shot + Combat Style: Rapid Shot), though, in order to accommodate the loss of the combat-style bonus feats - I don't know whether that would be acceptable.
JohnTheRanger
JohnTheRanger

Back to top Go down

Questions on how to write your New Character Empty Re: Finishing Touches

Post  Milo 'Nesquik' Tosscobble Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:06 am

I think i should be fine for character creation now. The only thing i may get stuck on is writing it all down, so i'll skype you if i need help.

Back to top Go down

Questions on how to write your New Character Empty Finishing Touches

Post  Genisisect Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:12 pm

O.k everyone, with the first session of the new campaign looking like it will be in a week, that means that you all have a week to get your characters finished. Besides 1 shift between now and then (on Saturday) I am pretty much free the entire time between now and then, and don't have any prep work for the early sessions of this campaign, this means that if you need help and I'm on Skype don't hesitate to ask, because helping you guys get your characters done is the last job I have before we start play, please don't hesitate. You don't want to be the one person on Wednesday saying 'give me a sec I'm almost ready'.

Also if everyone could scan their character sheets and email them to me once there done that would be great, I need to get some info of them.

Genisisect, the DM
Genisisect
Genisisect
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Milo 'Nesquik' Tosscobble Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:22 pm

Milo's Skills (and ranks) are:
-Appraise(6)
-Disable Device(7)
-Escape Artist(7)
-Gather Information(7)
-Handle Animal(6)
-Hide(7)
-Knowledge: Local (1)
-Move Silently(7)
-Open Lock(1)
-Search(7)
-Sleight of Hand(7)
-Use Rope(7)

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnTheRanger Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:18 pm

Skills as John the Ranger (Ivellios Amakiir)

I have ranks in:
- Climb
- Handle Animal
- Heal
- Jump
- Knowledge (Nature)
- Move Silently
- Survival

And I'll probably be taking ranks in Spot and Ride, too.I've only levelled my character up to level 2 at the moment, while I've been deciding on whether I'll multi-class to druid or anything, or not.
JohnTheRanger
JohnTheRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  KnifeytheWanderer Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:11 pm

Skills I currently have ranks in are:

• Autohypnosis
  • Concentration
  • Knowledge(psionics)
  • Move Silently
  • Spot
  • Tumble

That's only currently, though I'm pretty sure you only need to know what ranks I have right now. Still, if I remember, whenever I rank something up which I haven't before, I'll post on this thread.
KnifeytheWanderer
KnifeytheWanderer

http://heyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa.com/

Back to top Go down

Questions on how to write your New Character Empty Skills

Post  Genisisect Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:24 am

Hey everyone, can you all quickly post what skills you have ranks in.
Genisisect
Genisisect
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Genisisect Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:51 pm

yep that's all correct
Genisisect
Genisisect
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KnifeytheWanderer Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:27 pm

Okay, that makes sense. There's not much point in doing it in the evening as I lose my focus when I sleep, but when we pack up camp in the morning sounds good. I just need to make a concentration roll then?

And then it only gets expended when I announce I'm going to attack with the psionic weapons feat? So I can like, attack without it until I announce I want to attack with it, and then I make my attack roll and see if I hit -and if I hit, then woohoo, I think that's like two extra d6 of damage I can inflict!- Of course, if I miss then I lose the bonus.
KnifeytheWanderer
KnifeytheWanderer

http://heyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Genisisect Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:18 pm

I'm pretty sure Xephs require 8 hours of sleep (hence must have two watches sleep). But you will be able to become focused either at the evening while the camp is set up) or in the morning when it is packed up
Genisisect
Genisisect
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next